Wednesday, July 16, 2008

FLU

I just finished the most amazing book, it is titled "FLU" by Gina Kolata. I picked it up at the BYU bookstore while we were vacationing in Utah. It is amazing! It is the story of the great influenza pandemic of 1918 and the serach for the virus that caused it. It peaked my interest mainly because of my nursing background. This deadly virus killed between 20 and 40 million people. It has been cited as the most devastating epidemics in recorded world history.
A short list of books I have read this summer:
The Kite Runner (read for the second time)
When the Bough Breaks by Kay Lynn Magnum
Flu by Gina Kolata
and now I will begin another book I picked up at the library today, Lethal Passage by Erik Larson, I'll keep you posted, thanks for listening.

3 comments:

campbell said...

Talena What did you think about When the Bough Breaks? Also have you finished The Holy Secret? Have you read all of the Twlight series?

Sherrie Mills Johnson said...

I miss you! I wish you were here to talk about the books. But at least I get to read about it here!

James and Katrina said...

Thanks for sharing your book reviews. We listened to The Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis (book on CD) during our trip...something JD would like. I've been reading some of CS Lewis books like Mere Christianity. Also, Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover is interesting. Your family looks great and you seem to all have a good time!